Sunday, September 11, 2016

9/11, ladies night and football

Some days I can barely remember what I wore the day before.  But even though 9/11 was 15 years ago, I remember every detail of that day as a terrified 25 year old in North Hollywood, CA.  I was in the shower getting ready for work and I had the radio on. Danny Bonaduce had a morning show and I heard him say a plane had hit the World Trade Center.  I didn’t know whether to believe it as the show was known for many pranks.  I jumped out of the shower and turned on the TV.  As I did, the 2nd plane hit. My heart dropped.  I instantly began crying. I heard the words “terrorists” and “attack”. I heard there could be other plans.  I couldn’t believe my ears.  I ran and woke up my sister and roommates to let them know what was going on.  I didn’t know what to do. It was as if time froze in a thick horrific fog.  I left for work and I remember being on the 134 freeway.  Usually mornings were full of music, horns, people making deals on their phone, zooming traffic and road rage.  This morning was silent.  People drove with their windows down trying to soak up every detail of the radio reports.  People were crying in their cars.  No one was in a hurry to get anywhere.  It was a freeway of lost souls.  I remember phone lines being jammed.  I remember just wanting to hear my parents voices.  I got to work and they began closing the studios.  They began evacuating sky scrapers around Los Angeles.  At this point the Pentagon had also been hit.  A plane had went down in the country side.  Everyone feared that Los Angeles was also a target.  I remember looking at my boss and telling him I was going home.  If something terrible was about to happen, I was not spending the last day of my life at a recording studio in Hollywood.  I was going to be with my sister and friends. We were glued to the television all day.  I remember watching the planes hit over and over.  Watching the tower collapse.  Watching rescue workers running towards the ruins.  Watching the citizens of New York City covered in ash and debris running down the streets for their lives.  I will never forget the chill I couldn’t shake that day. The hollowness in my heart.  The silence in the skies overhead that were usually filled with planes landing at LAX and the Burbank airport.  I remember feeling heart broken and helpless.  To this day I will never forget the sacrifice that was made for our country. The lives that were lost.  The lives of loved ones left behind that were forever changed.  I remember always remember 9/11.  In a time of a nation torn apart by politics and social issues I look at the flag and think of the Pledge of Allegiance: “One nation, under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all”.  And that day, we were.  Let us not forget that. 

Wednesday night was volleyball league.  What a blast.  It had rained all day and the sand was soaking wet but I had so much fun.  My team is wonderful and despite the insane amount of sticky sand that ended up in my contacts, my gum and in crevices on my body I didn’t know existed, I loved every minute of it.  And we won, which always helps. 

Thursday night training was great, as always.  No better way to spend an hour of my night then with Trainer Ben and Molly, sweating like a demon and getting back in my groove. 

Friday night was a long overdue ladies night with Kara, Molly and Audra.  We had dinner at Spectators and then went to The Brewhouse to listen to Final Mix play. We were joined by Lukas and Maria and had a night full of beverages, dancing, laughter and shenanigans.  Have I ever mentioned how awesome my friends are? 

Saturday was the Superbowl of Iowa.  Iowa Hawkeyes versus the Iowa State Cyclones.  I had let go of my tickets for the game.  As much as I wanted to tailgate with my brother, see my nephews and enjoy Iowa City, my adult kicked in and I decided to stay in Des Moines.  I went to Saints with Audra and Gary and watched the Ohio State game. I know, I know what the heck, Lyndee? But my ginger loves the Buckeyes and I love her and football.  Unfortunately UNI lost.  But the Hawks put the smackdown on the Cyclones which is always a wonderful thing.  Later I went to the Tap to meet Summer.  And ended up driving home a friend who had celebrated a teeny weeny bit too much during the game.  You know your buddy is drunk when you drop them off, wait to make sure they get in the house and two minutes later you get a text that says “I’m home!”.  Ha! Oh Fuzzy, you crack me up. Followed by my best friend waking me up at 3 in the morning to tell me he's a spider monkey.  As the song says, in heaven there is no beer, that's why we drink it here.  God bless Iowa football fans. 

Today was productive to the max.  Got groceries, did laundry, worked on the yard, made breakfast, lunch and treats for the week.  Can’t wait to share the white chicken chili and peanut butter oreo truffle recipes with you on Testing Trendy this week.  Y-U-M to the YUM.  Oh, and my Packers won their first regular season game.  I am one smiley Lyndee today.  

Pleasant surprise to find out my dad is on his way to Des Moines tonight for a few days.  I can never get enough time with Big Papa Gene! This week will be training, volleyball, daddy daughter dates, Florida Georgia Line and then Beaverdale Fall Fest this weekend.  Another crazy week ahead but I’m ready to rock it out! #fearless40 

No comments:

Post a Comment